Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Happy Birthday Week



For the last p day we had we went to eat as a zone and we went to Chilies. I splurged for my birthday, and got a yummy salad and a pazookie. After that we came home a took a nap. And thanks to EVERYONE for your birthday wishes and emails. It was such a surprise and I loved each and every email. Thank you.


After that the week went on as usual, and found a surprising amount of new investigators and 4 families. We found 3 through contacting and one where we offered to help carry the groceries of a family that was climbing up a hill. they invited us in, gave us a glass of yogurt (yes we drink yogurt here) and then we found our that actually their daughter is a less active, but wants nothing to do with the church. Were trying to follow up and see if there is anything that we an do. We hope with this new pool of investigators that we´ll find someone that really wants to progress and change their life for the better.

The Elders had a couple that was married and then baptized the Saturday after. We were invited and got to help serve and invite our own investigators. One budista that we knew that won't except the discussions but likes to be friends actually came to the activity and was dancing away with the members! It was fun to watch, and while she doesn't want to hear about Christ, we feel like we´ve won a small victory to at least give her a good impression of Mormons.


A funny story during the baptism: while we were singing hymns to kill time while the people were changing there clothes, my companion was directing. She was asking for numbers of hymns to sing and I called out 172 which in the Spanish hymn book is the Iron Rod. My companion said she didn't know the tune and asked for my help. No problem I responded. We started singing, and NOBODY ELSE in the whole baptism knew the song either (usually there is at least one!) So I'm singing literally solo in a room full of people, and well about after three lines my voice sputters to a stop and I mumble my apologize s and how I don't remember the tune. We choose a different hymn to sing. My companion was cracking up and we laughed about it for a good while after the service.

This Sunday also we FINALLY had investigators that came to church. EIGHT to be exact and me and my companion are ecstatic! one is a family that we found and I hope that they had a good experience. The family just encountered some really horrible news and so I'm hoping that with the gospel they can overcome everything and feel the love of Christ heal their emotional wounds.

Halloween here was low key and calm. People don't really celebrate it much, and those that do have their kids dress up and they go to the little shops that are on every other corner or so and Scream HALLOWEEN and the store will give them a candy. We taught Milagros, one of our investigators, and her kids were all dressed up so I got a pic with some of the few fellow trick or treaters.


My birthday we went to pick our money up for the month, bought ice cream, and then went to help out with a Parillada that a member was doing to raise money for his mission in December, then we studied language, then had a strange picnic in the chapel. The member who had us lives outside of the our zone (hes from the stake) and we couldn't leave, so he brought his family and everything prepared to the church where we ate it. it was strange but fun.


After that we tried to get investigators to come to the baptism of the elders, (but alas not this time) we helped out with the baptisms and then taught the rest of the night. And with that, now I say Tengo viente uno anos! CRAZY ah ah. oh how time flies no?

Today is the day of transfers so well see what gets shaken up. Odds are that my companion will leave, I will stay and either train or get a younger companion. that is what I think, but who knows what the president has in store. keep up the email y'all. I love them.
Love,
Herman Bowers

No comments:

Post a Comment